On July 1, 1970, Maryland State College was renamed the University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
The University of Maryland Eastern Shore (UMES) is a public, historically black land-grant university (HBCU) located in Princess Anne, Maryland. The HBCU was originally founded on September 13, 1886 as the Delaware Conference Academy. Early on the university went through many name and administrative changes largely due to lack of financial resources and limited enrollment. The university was renamed from Maryland State College to the University of Maryland Eastern Shore on July 1, 1970.
Today, UMES is a Doctoral University that offers a wide range of programs and opportunities for more than 3,000 students. UMES is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.